Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I just had to...




There are a select group of my friends out there (you know who you are!!) that, upon receiving the information that I would be relocating to Astoria, OR for the new chapter of my life, immediately responded with "That's where The Goonies was filmed"!!

As it turns out, that is indeed correct. And I have whole-heartedly embraced this fact. Well, I should clarify. I am not a fanatic, but I have taken advantage of this fact. I own a DVD copy of The Goonies that most visitors have been forced to watch when they arrive here. I have driven by The Goonies house (no, I didn't take a pic), and I live by the County Jail featured in the opening scene and appreciate this every time I go by.

However, the ultimate "I live in the town where The Goonies was filmed" experience happened last weekend - it was the 25th Anniversary of The Goonies!!! The town was overtaken by fanatics (this is where I separate myself as a mere fan that happens to live in Astoria) from all over the world - literally! Corey Feldman (Mouth), Sean Astin (Mikey), Jeff Cohen (Chunk) and other actors were here for sold-out autograph signings, bus tours all weekend of places where the film was shot, constant showings of The Goonies in all the theatres... It was so fun!

The Goonies is one of those movies that is timeless. The premise - the kids go on a quest to find One-Eyed Willie's long lost treasure to save Mikey's house from wealthy developers - is perfect for this day and age. The comraderie and friendship, the genuine care for others (even Sloth), the adventurous spirit...all of that represents The Goonies. Even all of the fans flocking to Astoria were happy-go-lucky, open and fun, non-judgemental people -- united by The Goonies - 25 years later.

Some of the news stories:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/06/AR2010060603590.html

http://kotaku.com/5557778/twenty+five-years-later-goonies-still-never-say-die

http://www.people.com/people/news/category/0,,MediaProductsTax:MovieTheGoonies,00.html


1 comment:

jess said...

Tell me you got Corey Feldman's autograph!! :)

Post a Comment