Tuesday, December 22, 2009

"Selfish" Giving...is there such a thing?

So today on NPR there was a thought-provoking story titled:

'Selfish' Giving: Does It Count If You Get In Return?

(Click link to read story)...

This story caught my attention because I've grappled with the same notion. When is "giving" - gifts, money, time - truly altruistic. Is it ever? Or is it always? The story deals mostly with giving money for a cause - donations in the name of a company, person, etc. But they touch on volunteering as well. I guess maybe since I'm currently looking at my devastated budget and wrapping Christmas gifts for my niece and nephew that this hits home (the money one at least!)

In my humble opinion, the act of "giving" - even if it is for selfish reasons - is still good (and counts). Maybe it's because I was raised Catholic and went to Jesuit schools, where community service was important. I clearly remember spending one Christmas Day morning during high school at a soup kitchen in Tacoma, ladling out food and laughs to all the people who showed up. Did I choose to be there? Not really. I was kinda forced to go because of my mom, and kinda guilted into it by my peers. But I feel like the benefits of that experience - I still remember it 15 years on! - outnumber any selfish reasons that may have motivated me back then. The life lesson that everyone - even a homeless, alcoholic, down on their luck, person - has a story to tell. They weren't born that way. They may have never lived the life I had growing up, but they certainly deserve respect and support just like anyone else.

But there are some interesting points in the NPR story. Take for example all the "Pink Ribbon Crap" as I like to call it. You know, buy a product with a pink ribbon and support the fight against breast cancer. This one (of all the colored ribbon fundraisers) in particular hits home since my mom fought breast cancer for 17 years before dying due to complications from treatment (that's a whole other story!). One of the most egregious examples I've seen was pink cream cheese - in a pink plastic container. Really?! I appreciate the notion of supporting a cause, even if it's pennies on the dollar that probably goes to overhead to run a non-profit, rather than actual research. I know, I sound a little angry. I'm not, but it does irk me that an issue that is so personal, but yet affects so many families, has turned into a pink parade. What happened to a focus on prevention of cancer? Studying links between pollution, diet, lifestyle? And what about when links are made (chemicals) - what's happening to change our ways? I don't like the focus being completely on the fight and the cure. It's such an aggressive word. I guess it's easier than focusing on the "why" of how we got to this point. Which brings me back to buying stuff that supports this cause. It's easy to buy the pink tote, hat, pin. But I purposely choose not to. I'd rather see my money go more directly to the group that I want to support.

That said, I see where large corporations can get into a little trouble. By making it clear they support a certain cause, donate a little money, etc. they clearly are using marketing to attract certain customers. Is this bad? I guess it depends again on the intent. But even if the intent is to sell more stuff, doesn't some group somewhere benefit? All I'm saying is that the smallest actions - volunteering your time, buying a pink tote, donating to a cause - creates a tiny little change in your thinking - even within the biggest companies. You chose to do something, support a certain cause, help someone out, and therefore your actions reflect something you care about - no matter who else takes notice. And that can be called selfish, I suppose. But I think it's more accurate to call it being an engaged, thoughtful person.

No comments:

Post a Comment